Monday, November 10, 2008

To Blog or Not to Blog

Thank you for being patient with reading my previous article about reflections on Barack Obama gaining the US presidency and what implications this could have for Peace in Sri Lanka. It was a collection of my views at that point in time. I probably will not send the article as a letter to the editor like I stated in the article as it was too long, and perhaps I was slightly "chicken", and i'd have to read the papers daily to look at what reaction, or lack of reaction it would cause. Instead I have published it here on my Peace blog.

I apologise if I have offended with my words or ideas, but I would love the idea to improve my ideas by getting your feedback and knowing your response to what I have said. This has not been easy to write and for me it has taken a lot of courage –I as the same of you, please lend me your thoughts and feedback. This is the only way to progress as individuals and as a society. Action, contemplation, and education re-action.

Even though this is a blog that nobody in particular reads, I have realised that I am very self-conscious and sensitive about what I write here. This is reflected in the fact that I haven’t posted and entry since March 2008 and now it is November 2008. Despite the lack of entry there has been so much that I have wanted to write and post here in the last 6 months.

Why not write more in this blog?


I guess there are several reasons for my self-conscious and sensitivity in writing this blog. One reason is my current busy schedule and horrible addiction to perfectionism regarding what I write (even though it may not show in the quality of the writing). However, it goes much further and deeper than that. One of the things that holds me back from posting things like this is that “Peace” in “Sri Lanka” is a very hot topic, that is also emotionally charged topic.

Also it's a topic where you know people are going disagree with your viewpoint, or certain aspects of your viewpoint, and the people disagreeing may be very close to you - friends or even family. This is particularly difficult because we love our family and friends, even if we don’t always share their ideas or stances on issues. However, we also “believe” what we “believe” and if we don’t express it we will never be able to challenge what we think to be write and believe to be wrong.

The other thing is that sometimes I worry about expressing views on a public forum. At the beginning of the year I held a candle for peace outside Fort railway station along with other peace supporters. I even gave my comments for a private TV station about how I believed in the concepts of piece and non violence. However since them people who have seen this item have suspected that I am a terrorist supporter which is not the case.

Finally it is very difficult to know “all” the facts necessary to hold an absolutely accurate viewpoint. Even if all the facts were known the direction in which we viewed these facts could completely change their message and meaning.

So really what is left then – will we ever really know the truth? The truths behind the conflict is what I’ve been striving to find for 2 and a half years since coming back to Sri Lanka, and before that on and off for my entire adult life. However the more I know about the situation, the less I feel I know.

But strangely the more I know about the situation, the more I care about it, and the more I realise that the truths of the past are nowhere nearly as important as the ways we handle the present moment. Right now it is November 10th 2008 – Peace is really within our grasp. The sooner we realise this in ourselves by letting go of our fears, prejudices and anger, the sooner we will see actual peace in the communities we love and cherish.

2008 can see peace in Sri Lanka if we all want it badly enough. Do you want it badly? Then believe it is possible and let it “truly” exist at least in your heart. It may not come easily, but with practice it can.

God bless, Theruwan Sarani, Om Shanthi, Ishallah, Shalom
Or plain old “let’s hope”
:)

No comments: